Men's Ice Hockey Assistant Coach
Requisition Number: 2022S074Posting
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Department: Men's Ice Hockey
Colgate Athletics seeks to be a welcoming and diverse association of students, coaches, staff, alumni and fans in which all people are treated equitably and respectfully, and can contribute fully to our success; we share common goals, we affirm open communication and civility, we honor the sacredness of each person, we accept responsibility to act for the common good, we care for and serve one another, and we honor our history while celebrating our evolution; and, we strive to consistently perform at the upper range of our potential, to get better every day with a goal to win – to win in competition, in the classroom, in the community and in the lives of every member of the Colgate Community.
Responsible for execution of specific strategic activities and outcomes within assigned sport or area. These will include sustained performance and execution in the following areas:
• adhere to Head Coach's philosophy
• athletic instruction/coaching.
• program operations and administration as designated by head coach
Responsible for oversight of all administrative operations regarding student-athlete development. These will include:
• Monitoring of student-athlete academic progress and well-being
• Ensure student-athlete participation in all assigned community service activities
Responsible for execution of all scouting, film preparation, and competition preparation. These will include:
• video breakdown
• use of appropriate video-editing software
• coordination and oversight over film exchange program per conference policies
• coordination of team film sessions
• development of scouting reports
Responsible for overall team recruitment strategy.
• Exercises independent judgement regarding recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
• Decision-making authority to determine which individuals to recruit
• Decision-making authority in the allocation of scholarship allocations (as applicable)
• attracting and evaluating prospective student athletes
• monitoring prospective student-athlete academic progress and well being
• developing and maintaining relationships with prospective student athletes and other recruiting constituents
Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include:
• specific conference
• athletic department
• university policies
• attendance at all required compliance educational meetings
• successful on-time completion of all recruiting logs
Accountable for maintaining professional relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. To include:
• Responsible for all newsletters and communication with alumni
• Responsible for team promotion and marketing to all constituents
• Responsible for determining communication strategy within university and local community
Independent and unchallengeable decision-making regarding all student-athlete participation in assigned sport activities when head coach is not present. Accountable for student-athlete welfare while coaching.
Responsible for maintaining a budget. Exercises independent discretion on all purchases and budgetary decisions for program.
Responsible for hiring, oversight and management of student managers and part-time casual wage staff. Assistant Coach has independent discretion on all hiring and termination of student employees and part-time casual wage staff.
Responsible for role modeling behaviors and leadership for student-athletes.
Colgate Athletics Mission:
To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence
Athletics Department Values:
Thoughtful - Careful, reasoned, inclusive thinking
Driven - Relentless, energetic, focused pursuit of courageous goal
Enthusiastic - Passionate, positive, fun presence
Cohesive - Close—knit, collaborative, consistent teamwork
Bold - Creative, resourceful, fearless winners
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.
Requires candidate to demonstrate:
• Significant knowledge of ice hockey
• Possess 3 – 5 years of ice hockey playing, operations or coaching experience
• Knowledge of recruiting and coaching at the college or an equivalently high level
• Strong commitment to the academic success of student-athletes
• Knowledge and commitment to University, Conference and NCAA regulations
• Good communication and technology skills and strong leadership qualities
• Ability to communicate verbally and written
• Ability to provide tactical and technical instruction to students
• 3 – 5 years of Division I ice hockey playing, operations or coaching experience
• Prior experience coaching Division I men’s hockey is preferred
• Experience playing Division I ice hockey (or equivalent level) is also desired
A Bachelor’s degree is required.
A Master’s degree is preferred.
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. Without limiting remedies otherwise available to the university, if you are found to be in violation of any NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules, you may be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in relevant NCAA, league or conference disciplinary and/or enforcement procedures, including suspension without pay or termination of employment for significant or repeated violations.
Weekdays, with occasional evenings, weekends and overnights
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions Summary
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: https://www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to: https://apptrkr.com/3109272
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.