ABOUT COLLEGE OF THE HOLY CROSS:
Founded in 1843 in Worcester, Massachusetts, the College of the Holy Cross is among the nation's leading liberal arts institutions. A highly selective, four-year, exclusively undergraduate college of 2,800 students, Holy Cross is renowned for offering a rigorous, personalized education in the Jesuit, Catholic tradition.
Holy Cross highly values the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work at The College is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members--students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to diversity is an important feature of the Holy Cross education. Informed by the presence of diverse interpretations of the human experience, Holy Cross is building a community marked by freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support our values of diversity and inclusiveness. Job candidates of all diverse backgrounds who embrace the open and inclusive culture of Holy Cross are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Assist Head Coach by serving as first assistant coach with responsibility in all facets of the women's field hockey program, primarily by: instructing student-athletes on field hockey skills and techniques, educating on field hockey rules and NCAA requirements, assessing comprehension of skills, techniques and rules and providing additional instruction as appropriate, and preparing team for competition and practice.Assistant coach must perform duties in compliance with all College, Patriot League, and NCAA rules and regulations.
Primary Responsibilities (60%):
Provide individual and team instruction to student-athletes on rules and fundamentals, skill attainment, techniques and methods required to demonstrate satisfactory performance in a safe manner, team concepts
Provide individualized coaching/tutoring/mentoring to student-athletes, including preparatory work that includes:
- assessing student-athlete skill attainment demonstrated during practice, competition, and in films of both practice and competition
- reviewing video of opponent performance and subsequently designing individualized and team instruction for Holy Cross student-athletes
- determining specific daily practice activities that will be conducted by student-athletes
- developing instruction for individual student-athletes and specific team needs
- determining pre-competition activities that will be conducted during days of competition
- attending workshops and training sessions for the purpose of researching methods to provide student-athletes with training and instruction on rules, fundamentals, team concepts, physical health, safety, skill attainment, conference rules and regulations
Secondary responsibilities (40%)
- identifying talented, academically qualified prospective student-athletes
Administrative duties as assigned, including, but not limited to (10%):
- collaborating with coach to develop annual goals for the program
- maintaining records
- effectively communicating with coaches, prospects and parents
- tracking academic progress and providing counseling as appropriate
- assisting with fundraising, marketing and promotional activities
- administering sport camps as directed by head coach and/or Athletics Administration
Bachelor's degree required
2-3 years prior experience instructing and coaching, preferably at the Division I level
Knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations
Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required
Computer and video editing skills strongly encouraged, specifically with Gamebreaker for coding and film evaluation
This is an Exempt level position.
The College is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and complies with all Federal and Massachusetts laws concerning Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action in the workplace.
A member of the Higher Education Consortium of Central Massachusetts (HECCMA).
To review our Employee Benefit Options, please go to: http://offices.holycross.edu/humanresources/benefits
Job Start Date